At a Glance
The Full Story
Point of Departure
- While Fashion Co.’s same (physical) store revenue growth was negative, eCommerce growth was positive and had recently accelerated (+21% YoY for the past 12 months)
- Despite recent acceleration, Fashion Co. remained substantially behind peers on a number of metrics, including eCommerce penetration, traffic, and basket size
- Fashion Co. also ran all digital marketing through a media agency who provided limited transparency and control
Bain and FRWD created a test-and-learn program to address the key questions Fashion Co. faced:
- How do we optimally scale spend in our existing channels?
- What types of customers and channels should we prioritize?
- What sort of Influencer marketing is effective in driving awareness and conversion?
Tests focused on small-scale implementations to test new strategies with existing spend and explore new channels and tactics; team ran 8 tests over the 5-month program.
Paid search (search engine marketing): testing a switch from agency management model to internal management resulted in Fashion Co. discontinuing paid search relationship with agency
Display: established key relationships with 3rd-party vendors to build future state capabilities; anniversary’ed a previous year’s video campaign yielding 3x impressions at 40% less cost
Influencer: defined metrics to evaluate Influencer efforts and promote more data-driven selection
* We take our clients' confidentiality seriously. While we've changed their names, the results are real.